A question about allow_unconfined_mmap_low in f11 amd selinux

Eric Paris eparis at redhat.com
Mon Nov 9 17:17:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 19:32 +0000, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh <at> redhat.com> writes:

> > > We have setroubleshoot plugins that explain exactly to the users what
> > they need to do to turn make their wine
> > > apps run.
> > >

> > Does the dereference fix in kernel-2.6.30.9-96.fc11 address the issue raised
> > here or have I got this wrong?
> >

> I am somewhat confused by the following - I thought that if mmap_min_addr
> was >0 then you are not vulnerable.  I also thought that installing wine, OR
> Crossover would set it to zero.

Only on Ubuntu and then I believe only WINE.  We do not ever set/allow
this by default (at least not that I know of, and if we do please let me
know, I'll whack someone with a clue-by-four)

> I have Crossover installed and not wine, and just checked:
> [mike at home1 ~]$ cat /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr
> 65536
>
> This is an f11 box.  I also set the boolean by doing
> # setsebool -P allow_unconfined_mmap_low 1

Bad news!  For maximum protection would want that bool off.  You do not
want to ALLOW unconfined to mmap low memory.

-Eric