Re: Status of HAL

On Tue, 10.11.09 08:45, Rahul Sundaram (sundaram fedoraproject org) wrote:

> On 11/10/2009 08:43 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, November 9, 2009 1:28 pm, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >> - It's so deprecated that one of its replacements (HAL) has since been
> >>   frozen and deprecated
> >
> > Okay, I really can't keep up with Linux development these days.  What has
> > replaced HAL?
>
> It hasn't yet but DeviceKit will over a period of time.

There is no such thing as "DeviceKit" (anymore), there are only two
independant projects DeviceKit-power and DeviceKit-disks. Most other
things the old HAL did have been migrated into various other packages,
such as udev/libudev and more.

The Ubuntu folks have a nice overview of what moved where and how
things were updated:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net