Re: cpio to ext4 seems much slower than to ext2, ext3 or xfs

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
Gene Czarcinski <gene czarc net> writes:

[...]  In all cases, I have formatted the root ("/") partition as
ext4.  I have noticed that formatting the partition for ext4 seems
to take considerably more wall-clock time for ext4 partitions than
my previous experience with ext3 partitions. [...]

I have seen the same thing; this sort of thing appeared to help:

  mkfs.ext4 -O uninit_bg -E lazy_itable_init=1

- FChE

lazy_itable_init isn't yet safe, unfortunately, we still need a kernel background zeroing to make it so ...

Anybody got actual numbers? I don't disagree that mkfs.ext4 is slow in the default config, but I don't think it should be slower than mkfs.ext3 for the same sized disks.

You sure your disks didn't just get bigger since the F9 days? :)

-Eric