id3lib stack smashing

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Thu Nov 12 18:39:48 UTC 2009

There is ubuntu bug report against id3lib "libid3 crashes (stack
smashing) when reading VBR MP3 file"[1]. I am able to reproduce this on
ubuntu but not on Fedora and I do not understand why. The patch[2] looks
like it is doing the right thing but there is not stack smashing detected
using the Fedora version (even on ubuntu). I have looked at the ubuntu
build logs[3] and it uses completely different compiler flags. Is one of
those flags the reason for not seeing the stack smashing on Fedora?

		Adrian

[1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/id3lib3.8.3/+bug/444466
[2]http://launchpadlibrarian.net/33114077/id3lib-vbr_buffer_overflow.diff
[3]http://launchpadlibrarian.net/30361665/buildlog_ubuntu-karmic-i386.id3lib3.8.3_3.8.3-7.2ubuntu1_FULLYBUILT.txt.gz