Identifying remaining core font users

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Nov 12 19:39:36 UTC 2009

Le jeudi 12 novembre 2009 à 14:59 +0100, Andreas Schwab a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> writes:
>
> > Therefore, I'd like to identify remaining core font users, and remind
> > them periodically their core font use is not good for their users or for
> > Fedora.
>
> What's wrong with proving support for core fonts as a fallback?  That's
> what Emacs is doing, for example.

The problem here is your fallback is going to be less robust than your
primary path. Also it is not needed at all. Every single major GUI app
uses the "new" (in 2003 sense of new) font backend, so if it fails
you're not going to fallback individual apps you're going to switch to
the console to fix the system.

--
Nicolas Mailhot