Re: Identifying remaining core font users

Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> said:
> Then they need to be ported to a modern toolkit (by upstream). E.g. Xaw has
> long stopped being viable. (In fact it was never supposed to be more than an
> example.) If there is no upstream, then maybe it's time to retire the
> package? Or pick up upstream maintenance if there's really no modern
> alternative?

Why is there a rush to throw out working software?  I use xterm as my
standard terminal program, because it is lighter-weight and for a long
time "felt" faster than anything else.  My father uses it because he
still has software that uses the Tek4014 emulation that AFAIK nothing
else supports.

xterm still uses Xaw, although it does support fontconfig (still has
core font support as a fall-back).

Xaw and core fonts are not something new programs should use, but they
still work.  Are they really a significant maintenance issue?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>