Re: RFC: Btrfs snapshots feature for F13

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, James Antill wrote:

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 08:10 -0500, Josef Bacik wrote:
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik pobox com> wrote:
As the URL notes under "Detailed Description," that is not handled at all.
 It wraps all file I/O, yum or not, into the snapshot.

Yeah but you can't roll back userland transactions.  Not to mention
you are talking about an interface that may change quite a bit over
the next year.

That seems like a significant limitation, I'm also not sure that the
current transaction API would be usable by rpm. Anyway...

  We have snapshotting abilities now, and yes it's a big
hammer, but just because its a bit of a blunt instrument doesn't mean
we shouldn't take advantage of it.

This implies that "all you have is a hammer" but you can already run
"yum history undo".

which works up to a point. If the older pkgs you had prior to an update are not available anywhere history undo isn't going to be able to 'undo' but so much.

-sv