A silly question about our "FC" tag

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Nov 17 15:18:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 17:11 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Actually not if done in conjunction with a release bump, such as we do
> with a mass rebuild.

Only if we make a promise to never use the same base n-v-r across the
releases until whichever release we did the mass rebuild on is retired.

You are correct in that if we did a mass rebuild in dist-f13, we could
move to .f##, but consider 3 days later a maintainer wants to push a new
upstream release across the branches:

foo-1.2-1.fc11
foo-1.2-1.fc12
foo-1.2-1.f13

We're back in the same boat where the "fc" packages will be n-v-r
higher.

If we did a macro change in dist-f13 and a mass rebuild, and did a macro
change on dist-f12 and dist-f11 at the same time (without a mass
rebuild) this might work.  I'm not sure I like dist value changing on a
released Fedora though.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!