Re: Local users get to play root?

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 23:18:28 +0530,
  Rahul Sundaram <sundaram fedoraproject org> wrote:
> On 11/18/2009 11:19 PM, nodata wrote:
>

> > Thanks. I have changed the title to:
> > "All users get to install software on a machine they do not have the
> > root password to"
>
> .. if the packages are signed and from a signed repository. So, you left
> out the important part. Explain why this is a problem in a bit more
> detail.

Besides other issues listed, the packages being installed may be privileged
programs that the admin doesn't want on the system, may start services or
schedule runs at specified times by default which might considered a
problem by the admin, the extra packages may use up too much disk space
and cause problems.