Re: Local users get to play root?

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Jeff Garzik wrote:

On 11/18/2009 01:04 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Jon Ciesla wrote:
Seth Vidal wrote:
You have PackageKit installed on servers? really?

I do if it's in the default DVD install, or was pulled in in an
upgrade. I've never intentionally installed it, and yes I do. Never
imagined it would be a problem. I'll remove it.

Maybe you and I have a different concept of 'Servers'. But I tend to
install @core only and then remove items whenever I can for a server.

This sounds like a tacit admission that the default install for servers is bloody stupid (== same as desktop), unless the admin REMOVES packages we helpfully installed on the server system.

Does that sound like good engineering to you?

Sorry, this new policy is wildly inconsistent, a special case that will change in F13, we are told. It is wholly different from the entire history of Linux distributions.

@core doesn't contain anything like that:

http://fpaste.org/Bk9t/

I said I do remove items from @core that I don't need. It was my way of saying servers should have as little as possible on them.

-sv