Re: Local users get to play root?

On 11/18/2009 03:25 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Jeff Spaleta<jspaleta gmail com>  wrote:

I'm not sure enough sysadmins understand PolicyKit enough to
confidently generate local policy edits.  I think learning how to
implement site specific PolicyKit best practises by modifying unwanted
PackageKit's behavior is going to be a trial by fire introduction to
PolicyKit policy editting for a lot of admins. We saw the same sort of
learning curve frustration when hal policy was introduced that changed
how hardware was handled.

Having Yet Another access control system in HAL was precisely the
reason PolicyKit was created, so administrators can have one place to
find this stuff across the OS.

Rather irrelevant to our current problem, unfortunately.

Admins will upgrade to F12 not knowning that PK policy defaults have changed. They will upgrade into insecurity.

	Jeff