RFC: Btrfs snapshots feature for F13

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Nov 19 00:20:25 UTC 2009

On 11/16/2009 07:55 PM, Chris Ball wrote:
> It'd be great to get feedback on whether this is the right idea

You might look into how the nexenta guys implemented this:
  http://www.nexenta.org/os/TransactionalZFSUpgrades
to see if they have some thoughts worth borrowing.

With the caveat that I haven't yet created a btrfs (seriously waiting on
a Seagate RMA), I think most of the complaints on this thread are due to
thinking of filesystems in old terms, due to limitations of old storage
concepts.

To do this right probably requires the careful use of subvolumes.  One
for rpm, one for logs, one for each package installed, one for each
user's home, etc.  From rpm you can know what needs rolling back.  This
probably implies foo-var, foo-etc, foo-log, foo-share, etc, which is
inefficient, so maybe some refinement is needed there as well.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle