Re: Local users get to play root?

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 12:48:28 pm Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> .. if the packages are signed and from a signed repository. So, you left
> out the important part. Explain why this is a problem in a bit more
> detail.

Not every Fedora installation will fall neatly into "single user" or "actively
managed" categories.  I might be managing half a dozen machines in some office
at my university, and had I not known about this new, unprecedented feature, I
might come in one day and discover that everyone is running a completely
different system -- even though none of them have the root password!  I also
cannot claim that I am familiar with all of the thousands of packages in the
Fedora repositories, and would rather not come in one day and have a user ask
me for help after having installed dozens of unfamiliar packages after a few
weeks of using the system.

I do not feel this is a terribly contrived example...

-- Ben

--
Message sent on: Wed Nov 18 20:00:53 EST 2009