Re: Review request...

Josh Boyer wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 02:23:22AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>Michael Schwendt wrote:
>>> Many packagers don't know that maintaining a proper spec %changelog for
>>> relevant spec file changes and %release bumps are considered important
>>> during review already. Others add meaningless/dummy %changelog entries
>>> even in Fedora cvs.
>>
>>But that's a people issue that needs to be solved, not papered over in the
>>name of "being nice".
>>
>>Sadly, "incompetence" as in unfamiliarity with guidelines which are
>>assumed to be prerequisites for proper packaging is growing in our ranks
>>(both from new packagers and from people who ought to know better),
>>something needs to be done about it.
>
> Such as?

* Such as the very issue Michael Schwendt was pointing out (see quote).
* Such as continuous accidental upgrade path breakage due to widespread
unfamiliarity with Release/disttag handling (e.g. I keep having to explain
why and when to use -1.fc12.1 style versioning).
* Such as the assorted packaging mistakes which are caught by people
watching the commits list and pointed out on this list (with the offending
maintainer CCed).
etc.

        Kevin Kofler