Re: RFC: Btrfs snapshots feature for F13

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
> Chris Ball wrote:
>> Creating a new snapshot is unprivileged
>
> Huh? Isn't that a license for any user to waste massive amounts of disk
> space, ignoring any per-user quota? Whole file system operations must be
> root only!

Snapshots are subject to the permissions of the root inode that we're
snapshotting, so if the permissions are set such that the user has
write permissions for that root, then they can create snapshots.  An
example of this would be if you created individual subvolumes for
individual home directories.  The users would have permissions to
their respective roots and be allowed to snapshot them.  This isn't a
whole file system operation, its a per-root operation.  Thanks,

Josef