Re: Local users get to play root?

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 06:50 +0000, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
The desktop users on my network might have difficulty doing any of those
things, since their "desktop" access is via VNC tunnelled through ssh.

However, now it seems they can arbitrarily install software into /usr,
on a server that is (for some of them) in a foreign country, because of
something called PackageKit.

That is incorrect, unless somehow your ssh tunneled VNC registers as
"local console login", which I doubt.  In your case, none of your users
would be allowed to install software/updates.

There is a logical flaw in this argument. Last month you would have told me the PackageKit is totally safe; you need to know the admin password to install anything. Seems that that is no longer true. Where is my guarantee that the current restrictions won't be loosened.