Re: A silly question about our "FC" tag

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 22:01, Orcan Ogetbil <oget fedora gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> There's many things that need to be changed in rpm but IMHO this isn't one
>> of them.  RPM produces predictable versioning.  Hacking it up with special
>> cases will lead nowhere but pain.
>
> Suppose we hack the RPM, such that right before RPM does the EVR check
> when updating a package, it will take the Release string and does a
> 's  fc\([0-9]\)@.f\1@' for both the old and the new package? Can you
> give me an example where this might lead to a problem?

Which part of "Hacking it up with special cases will lead nowhere but
pain." confused you?

It's a hack. It's Fedora-specific, so doesn't belong in RPM (or
anything else). And RPM will no longer produce predictable versioning.

And you'd probably need to hack it in to yum and numerous other
package management tools.