[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?



>> On 11/20/2009 11:20 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>>>
>>>> "Users of the Fedora Moblin Spin would have a much better user
>>>> experience on their NetBook, NetTop and other small devices"
>>>
>>> That's what the marketing department wants it to be.
>>
>> Meh. You said the target of the spin is not netbooks but it clearly is.
>
> You violently don't want to understand.

Actually I disagree.

> The moblin stuff is a different use-case, primarily addressing the very low
> end of HW, which is competing with SmartPhones, the XOs and the like.

Actually its not targeting very low end hardware at all. It uses
clutter and the whole interface is rendered in OpenGL. You need a card
that can do that and the XO and other "very low end hardware" won't
cut it.

> I am talking about is people using netbook/nettops as "secondary desktops"
> for "normal usage".

That is one use case of a Netbook/Nettop device. The other use case is
people that want to use it as a social and communications device to
keep in touch with friends, listen to music, check email and update
facebook. Both are very valid use cases and both are very popular just
because the Moblin user interface doesn't suit you it doesn't mean its
not a valid use case and one that lots of people want to use. The fact
there's been nearly 10K downloads of the beta live images prove that.

>>> Reality speaks a different language:
>>> * People are using their everyday desktop even on low end machines and
>>> do not want to fiddle around with "custom netbooks desktops".
>>> * People consider their low end machine's performance sufficient for
>>> such use-cases.
>>
>> I am not sure why I should accept your version of reality over any
>> other. Any references to back up your claims?
>
> It's what I am using netbooks for, everybody around me uses netbooks for,
> what newpapers tell and what I can buy in stores.
> The mass of "Atom based" machines you can buy around here either have "Win
> XP" preinstalled or meanwhile occasionally come with Win7.

Maybe where you live but Linux still makes up a large portion of the
netbook market. With a decent interface like Moblin that I believe
will improve. It doesn't fit everyones use case but the fact is that a
large percentage of the public only use their computer for Web
browsing, Music, photos, Instant Messaging, email and Social
Networking and Moblin fits that perfectly.

> Linux based netbooks/nettops can hardly be found in stores anywhere.
>
>>> The essentially the same rationale/reason why netbooks/nettops with
>>> WinXP have been a huge success and why netbooks with "custom desktops"
>>> were a failure.
>>
>> Actually, netbooks represent one of the highest market shares for Linux
>> on the client side and nany of them are running custom desktops
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS5114054156.html
>
> Well you'll likely find a static proving anything.
>
> All I can say, my netbook easily outperforms many "older desktops" and is
> quite suiteable for everyday office- and home use-cases, using an ordinary
> Fedora setup. I don't have any use for Moblin and consider Moblin to be a
> waste of resources.

To you it might be, I'm well aware of your opinions but yours is not
the only opinion and if you look at the netbook manufacturers you'll
see that they're all announcing Moblin devices. Hell Dell is even
shipping it in Beta to get it out there. So just because it doesn't
fit your taste it doesn't mean its wrong. Ultimately its another
option like GNOME or KDE or LXDE or enlightenment.

Peter


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]