Right-click for wacom driver?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Nov 23 01:09:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 03:25:27PM -0800, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> While working on Flash development in Windows XP TabletPC, I noticed the
> right-click is done by pressing the stylus for few second and icon will
> display the right-click mouse  delay. I wonder if the new
> xorg-x11-drv-wacom can do similar action for stylus that don't have
> eraser action.

I don't think it has that functionality yet, though I have to admit I might
be wrong there.

> I am not sure if the current linuxwacom can do similar action. If so,
> how can it be done?

the principle would be similar to the middle mouse button emulation in other
drivers. when a press is detected, a timer is set. that timer is cancelled
by a button release but if the timer expires normally a right click/button
3 event is posted to the server.
Of course, you'd need to take some motion filtering into account to avoid
having every drag action converted into right clicks.

The main usability issue is sorting out whether to delay the original button
press until the timeout is triggered or to send the button 1 press
immediately and fake the release before posting button 3.

My tendency is that the former is better, the latter would not allow for
right clicks without previous selection. I'd be curious what windows does in
that regard though.

Cheers,
  Peter