livecds in the future

Sir Gallantmon ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 21:07:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Ben Williams wrote:
> > (yes i know the size sux, but not
> > everyone has highspeed internet thats why they are downloading the livecd
> > and not the dvd)
> >

> Another interpretation would be: The contents of the DVD does not
> satisfy the needs of many people.
>
> I am in that ship for instance. There is so much useless stuff in the
> DVD that I will never use that makes it a waste of time for me to
> download.
>
> In that sense, I use the LiveCD for installation, because I *have*
> fast internet, so I can pull and install packages real fast.
>
> Orcan
>
> --

If there are systems that cannot boot to USB, why not offer a boot disc that
would automatically search for USB drives, offer a list of bootable USB
drives, and allow the user to select one to boot from?

There really is a huge need for this kind of option. I love installing from
USB, since it is so much faster and more reliable, but I have many systems
that are unable to boot from USB. And if it is done right, this boot disc
would rarely (if ever) have to be updated, since it would work for past and
future Fedora releases.