Re: [RFC] unified i386/x86_64 install media.

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 16:48 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 13:50 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > syslinux would need to be able to detect the arch to install and likely also
> > have a flag to force 32 bit we could easily implement the 64 bit kernel and 32
> > bit userland idea that was put forward a few releases ago.  pungi will need to
> > learn how to make the new iso. but i think it is achievable.
> As I'm actually trying this on one of the laptops on my desk, I'd point
> out that this almost certainly requires yum changes to work well.  yum
> gets its idea of arch from uname, which reports what the kernel is, not
> what the current glibc is.
> Not that it's not a good idea - it seems to work surprisingly well - but
> it's not turnkey yet.

 Also plugins like "kmod" which use uname directly. And anaconda really
doesn't like it, from a previous similar RFE:

RFE: Yum 32bit for installer? -- as 64bit uses twice as much memory

...on the upside IIRC notting tried the 64bit kernel with 32bit
userspace for F11, and had a single line patch (to rpmUtils.arch) to
make yum happy.

James Antill - james fedoraproject org