crazy Xrandr/XOrg automatic display configuration.

I assumed, via the release notes, that the new Xorg operates in
"extend-desktop" mode by default.

However, I'm not sure.

When I hook up a running Fedora laptop to a projector, my desktop is
extended.  Very nice.
When I hook up the same projector and then -boot- my Fedora laptop, I
am set to mirrored-mode by default at startup.

Does anyone else have this?  Why are there two different external
display behaviors?