Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Thu Nov 26 14:24:08 UTC 2009

On 11/26/2009 02:12 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 02:01:00PM +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:
>> another set of problems. The new release speed also uses a lot of
>> developer and user time in just managing to create a new release and
>> updating systems to use it.
>
> This is the key flaw in your suggestion. Fedora developer effort isn't as
> malleable as you seem to think -- managing a new release is very different
> from fixing graphics bugs, and even if everyone involved in a different
> aspect of the project _wanted_ to switch to graphics driver programming
> _and_ was qualified to do so _and_ was able to get up to speed in a
> reasonable time, you can't necessarily solve programming problems faster by
> multiplying the number of developers.
That is true, but a major amount of work in getting a release out must
be testing it. Those Fedora people involved in the testing, which are also
user-testers, have their own systems with there own hardware and are
fully conversant with delving into bugs and reporting them in the correct way.

> On the other hand, having a release which emphasizes stability over new
> features is an idea that's been around for a while. It may be a good idea
> occasionally, but one of the problems you get is that new development in
> general doesn't stop and wait for stabilization, so the _next_ release,
> where you open things up again, ends up extra-unstable as all that new stuff
> hits at once.

No things don't stop and they shouldn't. But at least it gives a reference
platform to assist with future developments and bug fixing and also a
stable release that people can recommend. I am unable to recommend F9, F10, F11,
or F12 ...