Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Thu Nov 26 22:14:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 07:23 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 20:16 +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> > On 11/26/2009 07:46 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > >
> > > I follow the radeon updates pretty closely and my 9200 finally starting working
> > > with 3d again a few weeks before the release. Airlie has continued
> > > development in the f12 branch and there have been several updates over the
> > > last couple of weeks.
> > > If you have just tried F11 and not F12 you should consider doing so. For r5xx
> > > and below, grab a live image and install one of the smaller 3d apps and
> > > try it out. For r6xx and above you'll want to install
> > > mesa-experimental-drivers and update xorg-x11-drv-ati. This won't get you
> > > the kernel updates related to graphics since the release, but should give
> > > you a good look at where things are at so that you can decide if you want
> > > install F12 on the machine.
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have tried out F12 on 4 different systems, 2 with different ATI graphics and
> > two with different Intel based boards. Only the last one appears to be able
> > to run Blender. You mention "Airlie has continued development in the f12
> > branch". If that means there are people working on the bugs and producing new
> > driver updates for F12 (DRM,MESA,X11), especially for ATI then I certainly
> > will give it some time.
>
> So is blender working the only thing you consider as working?
>
> The current focus is on making graphics work for as many ppl as possible
> first, then 3D is always further down the list, this is just common
> sense.
>
> Current priorities are:
> 0) you aren't running a binary driver - if so no priority for you.
>
> a) Can you see stuff on the screen at install/boot?
> b) can you run GNOME desktop in reasonably useful manner? i.e. firefox
> runs okay, no glitches, major slowdowns etc.
> c) can you suspend/resume?
> d) can you run compiz/gnome-shell?
> e) can you run non-Gnome desktops at reasonable speed? (yes we have to
> prioritise gnome over KDE, it sucks but thats life)
> f) does misc 3D application run?

I should follow up just as far as the Red Hat X team goes a-d are what
we are paid to do, e/f and nice to haves, so really if some community
effort was to be brought up around this, e/f are where it would make
sense to focus it.

Having some sort of repos where we can publish a new
kernel/libdrm/mesa/intel/ati/nouveau package in one block for
people to test and find regression that isn't rawhide and isn't
updates-testing (since it would be abusing that) would be an
excellent place to start.

Dave.