Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Nov 27 03:37:18 UTC 2009

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On the other hand, having a release which emphasizes stability over new
> features is an idea that's been around for a while.

That's actually mostly what F12 has been, partly due to RHEL scheduling,
partly due to the shortened release schedule to realign with our target
dates and partly due to accidents of scheduling. For example, KDE hasn't
received any major changes (e.g. KOffice 2 was punted to F13), only new
minor versions (like KDE 4.3) which have also been pushed to F11 updates.
You won't get much more conservative in Fedora land.

> but one of the problems you get is that new development in general doesn't
> stop and wait for stabilization, so the _next_ release, where you open
> things up again, ends up extra-unstable as all that new stuff hits at
> once.

In fact that has already happened to some extent: F8 was a release with a
shortened release schedule which had a reputation of being very stable, F9
was a lot more groundbreaking with brand new stuff like KDE 4, a new release
of X11, Upstart, a rewritten GDM etc. The cool new stuff also came with some
funkiness, which thankfully mostly got sorted out by updates.

        Kevin Kofler