root's ssh-agent $SSH_AUTH_SOCK

Good evening all,

I've setup an authorized key for a server I regularly use, but when I tried to run ssh-add as root, it wouldn't work until I had copied the SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable from my normal user.

I wonder if anyone can tell me the correct way get this variable set automatically

I can run..

eval `ssh-agent`

which does sets the variable for me, but I don't want to put that command in say the .bashrc, or should I???

Thanks in advance

Martin Airs

ps. I'm using F12 X86_64