thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Sun Oct 11 16:54:25 UTC 2009

On 10/11/2009 11:46 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Oh please. Expecting all Fedora thunderbird users to keep track of
> upstream development of software included in Fedora is totally
> ridiculous. The package maintainer made the judgement to include a beta
> release of thunderbird. If major UI or other behaviour changes were
> expected to follow in later revisions, it would have been wise to not
> include the beta release in the first place. Otherwise, it would have
> been easy enough to disable those couple of features we are talking
> about in the update and avoid the hassle for users.

Did I say that people should do exactly as I do? No. Please don't put
words in my mouth.

> It is NOT ok if I update my mail client in any stable release of Fedora
> and get a different UI where my folders are rearranged and my mail
> client proceeds to index gigabytes of my mail sucking up the CPU and
> generally making it unusable for quite sometime. A new release with a
> new UI and behaviour is ok. An update changing it like this is
> definitely not.

Then were was your negative karma? I run TB on 3 different machines
(different platforms/arches) and have not encountered any "disastrous"
side effects so my positive karma does not accurately reflect all
possible scenarios.