Proposal: Python 3 in Fedora 13

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 18:39:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 11:23 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On 10/01/2009 11:11 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:

> >> I'm going to think on the overall proposal more, but I very very very
> >> much
> >> wish this sentence said "I will not push this into F12 at all."
> >>
> >> josh
> >>

> > Ditto. This is not something you would push as an update to a released
> > product.
> >
> I disagree.  The proposal is really treating python3 as a new language.
>  We can and do push such things into a released Fedora.

Treating it as a new language is the intent, and I'll make every effort
to keep them separated.

In theory there wouldn't be any problems.  However if I screw up and
somehow cross the streams, I run the risk of breaking _lots_ of things;
yum is the most obvious victim in the critical path. Obviously I don't
want to do that.

I'm not volunteering to put it into F12.  I think that anyone wanting to
push it into F12 needs to sign up for a lot of testing (brainstorming
some testcases: can you still compile and build external modules with
both 2 and 3 -devel subpackages installed?  does every configure script
pick up the correct version? etc)

Dave