Orphaning some packages [Was: Re: Buyer Beware: A Major Change in NFS is about to happen]

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Oct 3 05:22:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 14:51:15 -0400,
  Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> ----- "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> > Bugs can include RFEs as well as actual brokeness. I don't think that
> > really buys you anything. And a bad maintainer could just file an RFE for an
> > upgrade and refer to that bug when they provide the upgrade.
>
> Yes, of course, but I expect Fedora maintainers to be adults, so they would behave at least reasonably responsibly and not fluke rules we agree upon.

Which was sort of my point. If you trust them to behave, why not trust them
to do only appropriate updates? It could be argued that requiring a bug
number is a reminder that they should only be doing bug fixes. It still
seems like an unnecessary hoop to jump through if one wants to push out
an upstream bugfix release for which no open bugs exist.