Retiring ksensors, possibly id3lib as well?

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 17:49:49 UTC 2009

Greetings all...

I believe the time has come to retire ksensors.

The last update/release was 18/08/2004, and it appears upstream has been
defunct since at least that time.

Unless there are objections voiced and/or a maintainer steps forward before
Oct 9 (Friday), I will go ahead and retire this package.

id3lib also needs to be looked at, as it's upstream has been defunct
since March 2 2003.

This one might hurt more than ksensors will, since several programs
depend on id3lib.

This is a list of the programs that require id3lib:
audio-convert-mod
easytag
tagtool
id3lib-devel
id3v2
gmediaserver
liblicense-modules
kid3
grip

The list is alot shorter than I thought it would be, but it's still
enough to cause problems.

Is there anyone willing to take up upstream development of id3lib?
Is there a possible (more active) replacement for id3lib?
Is there a valid reason for continuing to carry such a defunct package
in Fedora?

I'm more than happy to continue maintaining id3lib if there is a valid
reason to do so,
but my reasons are more sentimental than valid logical reasoning.

So I turn to you to answer that question:
Is there valid, logical, reasoning to continue to support such old code?

Lyos Gemini Norezel