How about releasing an update of xorg-x11-drv-intel for Fedora 11

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 18:26:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 10:44 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 03:15:06PM +0100, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> > A new release of drm/mesa/xf86-video-ati/Xserver code for F11 based on the
> > new 1.7 XServer and 7.6 mesa would be very useful.
>
> No, not really.
>
> > I understand that changing the Graphics system could break many
> > users systems, so maybe a build of all the necessary packages could be put
> > into the testing repository or perhaps a special graphics-testing repository
> > could be added. This would help get the graphics issues fixed prior to
> > F12's release ...
>
> Actually, installing rawhide or the F-12 Beta (or using a livecd) would help
> get the graphics issues fixed prior to F-12 release.  That is going to help
> much more than wasting the developer's time trying to backport everything to
> F-11, pushing it to updates-testing, and dealing with all the fallout.

In fact, the major reason for not backporting the intel driver to F11 is
that it requires a bunch of kernel changes that no one really has time
for.  Among other things, 830 through 865 require GEM in the intel 2.9,
which we have disabled for the F11 kernel for those chips because (as
shipped) it's utterly broken.

- ajax