Bug reporting URL field in packages

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Oct 8 08:29:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, Jon Masters wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 10:43 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
>> So I guess the real question is do we want our packages built in koji to
>> assume a bug URL of fedora, even when used in downstream projects?
>
> I think that's a giant assumption - if the maintainer didn't put that
> URL in the package themselves, what makes you think automatically
> putting it in there is going to achieve anything different? ;)
>
> I advocate letting people choose for themselves.

Well, there's no semantics attached to the bugurl tag so it's up to distro
policies what to use it for: distro bugtracker or upstream bugtracker for
that package.

One option that would allow "remapping" the bug address to whatever
local configuration says would be leaving part of the bugurl tag as an
unexpanded macro, so our buildsys would define bugurl like this:

%bugurl %%{_bugurl_os}/%{name}

With that, the %{name} part is expanded at build time to effectively the
source rpm name, and the rest is up to query-time expansion. The extension
could return empty if the macro expansion fails (ie when _bugurl_os isn't
defined). Something like fedora-release could provide the %_bugurl_os
definition by default, and downstream distros, IT admins etc could
override it to whatever appropriate. It also permits controlling the
bugurl for packages from different sources like 3rd party repositories.
And changing the bug tracker base address doesn't require mass-rebuild.

That's trivial to implement, but would that be sufficient to cover the
concerns over arbitrary downstream distros pointing to Fedora bugtracker
etc, or should I just let it be?

 	- Panu -