How about releasing an update of xorg-x11-drv-intel for Fedora 11

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 04:30:37 UTC 2009

James Antill wrote:
>  The problem is that PPAs/KoPeRs are going to get much less
testing than
> stuff in updates-testing, so if you don't think you are
getting enough
> testing in updates-testing I really don't see how KoPeRs will
solve that
> problem.
>
>  Personally I'd suggest pushing to updates-testing but wait a
_long_
> time (maybe even never) before pushing to stable.
>  Of course you are kind of screwed in having a package which
might work
> fine on one machine, but fail on many others.
>
>> I think for F12 updates we could really do with some sort of
side repo
>> setup, so we could have a stability period where QA could
happen on
>> packages that may end up in updates a month or two later.
>
>  How would this be different from updates-testing? If you
install
> yum-plugin-aliases it even has predefined aliases lsuT and upT
to get
> the list of updates from testing, and update to them. bodhi
has support
> for it etc.

The problem with forcing two pipelines through u-t for one
package is that if the stable package has something that needs
to go through updates-testing, the new, possibly unstable,
version shadows the new stable build. Side repos (preferably
"themed" per sé; KDE updates separate from GNOME packages that
the same maintainer happens to maintain as well so that users
don't have to update something they use on the side and can't
test as well) is the only way to fit a double pipeline for a
single package through the update system as it stands.

- --Ben