Howto handle multilib conflict?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 12 19:52:04 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-10 at 18:05 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 07:47:59 -0700, Adam wrote:
>>> Of course, that turns the larger question into 'why do we put i686
>>> -devel packages in the x86-64 repo, not just the lib packages',
>> Because not all files in -devel packages cover multiple target
>> platforms. Example: You could not build for i686 with headers that
>> are specific to x86_64, and you would also need the .so symlinks for
>> libraries in the appropriate libdir.
>
> Well, that's only valid if we actually do anything to ensure multilib
> compilation actually *works*, right now all we enforce is that the
> packages don't conflict (which isn't the same thing at all).

Well... at $DAYJOB we *depend* on being able to compile 32-bit on 64-bit
for at least a couple products. And not just on Red Hat (and in my case,
Fedora), but also on Solaris, HP-UX, Darwin and AIX, all of which
support this just fine. (Yes, "all" includes Fedora/RH, at least for the
admittedly limited set of libs we use.)

That said, I'm not asking for it to be actually tested in Fedora, just
that if it breaks and I complain, the reply won't be "we don't care
because that is not supported and therefore it will not be fixed". IOW I
am fine with the current status quo, but I don't want to see multilib
dropped (not even sure it can be due to wine) or the policy otherwise
become explicitly hostile toward multilib compilation.

--
Matthew
"The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it's simply seeking