thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 05:58:36 UTC 2009

On 10/11/2009 09:46 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/11/2009 10:03 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>
>> I do use TB (read my email headers). I fully understood that TB 3.0 was
>> in beta and could drastically change at any moment. I keep track of
>> their development as well so I was prepared for the changes that have
>> happened. If you expect beta software to act like stable software then
>> you need to update your dictionary.
>
> Oh please. Expecting all Fedora thunderbird users to keep track of
> upstream development of software included in Fedora is totally
> ridiculous. The package maintainer made the judgement to include a beta
> release of thunderbird. If major UI or other behaviour changes were
> expected to follow in later revisions, it would have been wise to not
> include the beta release in the first place. Otherwise, it would have
> been easy enough to disable those couple of features we are talking
> about in the update and avoid the hassle for users.

The changes were not expected.  Actually, the fact that TB3 is still in
beta was not expected, since it was supposed to be released as a final
within a week of FF35.  Clearly, things haven't been going as planned
for upstream and that's had an effect on Fedora, too.  While the changes
are unfortunate, they have gone through testing, and I'll note that
Thunderbird is _NOT_ the default mail client in Fedora, so it won't
impact the majority of Fedora users.  None of this is any excuse for
things, but are important to consider when casting stones.