Re: thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

On 10/13/2009 01:58 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
On 10/11/2009 09:46 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On 10/11/2009 10:03 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

I do use TB (read my email headers). I fully understood that TB 3.0 was
in beta and could drastically change at any moment. I keep track of
their development as well so I was prepared for the changes that have
happened. If you expect beta software to act like stable software then
you need to update your dictionary.

Oh please. Expecting all Fedora thunderbird users to keep track of
upstream development of software included in Fedora is totally
ridiculous. The package maintainer made the judgement to include a beta
release of thunderbird. If major UI or other behaviour changes were
expected to follow in later revisions, it would have been wise to not
include the beta release in the first place. Otherwise, it would have
been easy enough to disable those couple of features we are talking
about in the update and avoid the hassle for users.

The changes were not expected. Actually, the fact that TB3 is still in
beta was not expected, since it was supposed to be released as a final
within a week of FF35. Clearly, things haven't been going as planned for
upstream and that's had an effect on Fedora, too. While the changes are
unfortunate, they have gone through testing, and I'll note that

er, huh?  What does that mean?

If testing had been done, then why were these two _blindingly obvious_ behavior changes pushed to F11?

Where did the process break down, then?

Did the package maintainer think that UI and indexing changes in the middle of a stable Fedora release are acceptable, general practice?

The indexing change has created a new wrinkle, too: I separate my work and non-work email for LEGAL reasons. Now the index has smushed those two together. Lovely, fscking lovely...

	Jeff