thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at pobox.com
Wed Oct 14 12:47:35 UTC 2009

On 10/14/2009 08:21 AM, Steve Dickson wrote:
> On 10/13/2009 09:56 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>>
>> Not everyone had issues with the indexing so that seemed to slip past
>> testing.  It was a change, but didn't seem to disrupt things, so we let
>> it slide.
> Not to pile on, believe me I know painful change is... 8-) but...
>
> This new indexing is the biggest pain of all the changes IMHO...
> My laptop CPU start to and continues to be pegged when I start up and
> shut down TB3b... I could not read mail for 24hrs due to TPB3 trying
> to indexing all my mail... Granted I have a ton of mail, in large number
> of folders...  but my CPU became pegged, TPB3 start to eat all the memory,
> causing everything to be swapped out, which caused the system to finally hang!!
> This was happen continuously. So I figured the only way to get by this was to
> delete mail... Which became a race between me deleting mail and TB3b try
> to index that folder...  I have a feeling that scenario was not tested
> too well... ;-)
>
> So for you to say indexing "didn't seem to disrupt things" is simply
> inaccurate... It was a major disruption and a complete waste of time...

Agreed.

Or put more simply, this "bug fix update" dropped an unexpected, 2+
gigabyte turd into my NFS-mounted home directory

> [jgarzik at bd ~]$ ls -l ~/.thunderbird/tc8ktlwu.default/global-messages-db.sqlite
> -rw-r--r-- 1 jgarzik jgarzik 2731515904 2009-10-14 08:42 /g/g/.thunderbird/tc8ktlwu.default/global-messages-db.sqlite

as well as slowing down all my NFS accesses for ~24 hours.

I hope a thunderbird update is being prepared, to make 2 config tweaks
for F11?

And a warning / release note for F12 users, noting that a __lot__ of
additional disk space is required in ~/.thunderbird.

	Jeff