thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 15:05:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 10:00 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> You let me know how three people in Fedora can miss a very subtle Firefox
> memory leak.  How many people would need to use updates testing before the
> thunderbird indexing problem is caught?  How long would it need to stay
> there?  In this case updates-testing theory just does not match reality.
>
> The status quo is broken, doing nothing will keep it that way.

I'm not advocating "doing nothing".  I'm just not agreeing with your
suggested fix of throwing more repos at the problem.

The thunderbird issue is a unique one, where I don't think there /was/ a
previous stable release that was going to continue getting upstream
bugfixes.  Also, the new thunderbird was supposed to go out of beta at
or shortly after Fedora 11 was released.  In these scenarios the
maintainer's choices are A) go with what should be stable soon, B) go
with the unmaintained code and be responsible for all backports and
security fixes going forward.  Neither is a good choice, but that's what
upstream dumped on us.

I'll agree that in this case, a karma of 3 really wasn't sufficient to
push this out, and that's just a mistake on the person pushing the
update.  They should have opted out of the 3 karma autopush and waited
for more feedback from a larger set of users.  Just like not ever
package is the same, not every update is the same, and some have to be
treated with more care than others.  A people issue, not necessarily a
technical one.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!