Updates-testing

Alex Hudson fedora at alexhudson.com
Wed Oct 14 16:22:47 UTC 2009

On 14/10/09 16:47, Seth Vidal wrote:
> yum downgrade pkgname
>
> it works fine for the simple-ish cases.

If that works, then gravy. I can't admit to having tried it in the past
- although, I'm not really a yum user, I use packagekit, and indeed pk
whines at me to turn off the legacy software when I run yum ;) Ideally,
for me, this would be something pk can trigger (and maybe give me a way
of contributing to the testing karma at the same time - that would rock).

Personally, though, I would think that if that is a feature we're
advertising then it should be policy that either a. package maintainers
strive to ensure their packages are mainly downgradable (certainly
within a stable release) or b. the packages are marked as "don't
downgrade me" and yum/whatever issues the appropriate expletive when you
try to do that.

I would say again that any package update which cannot be downgraded
would be one I would think hard about releasing into a stable Fedora.

Cheers

Alex.