Are packages w/o necessary kernel modules allowed?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Oct 14 17:55:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:01:40 -0400 (EDT)
Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > Then our opions diverge: I think it should be a hard show stopper
> > criterion.
> >
> > There should not be any room for any "cripple ware" in Fedora nor
> > should Fedora be a stage for "closed source loaders".
>
> I think I agree.
>

> This is just like shipping a package with an intentionally missing
> dependency. We wouldn't allow shipping yum if rpm were missing,
> right?
>
> this sounds the same to me.

So, how about some other cases instead of just kmods:

- Client apps that are free and acceptable for fedora, but a server app
  that is not.

EXAMPLE: mpd (in rpmfusion) and all the various mpd clients that are
all in fedora.

- Library app thats free, but only non free things link against it so
  far.

EXAMPLE: libvdpau

- Package that is free an interfaces with a non free server's data:

EXAMPLE: dbxml-perl

- Package that is free, but the kernel part of it's currently not
  working (although planned to be back and great work is being done on
  it):

EXAMPLE: xen

- Package that is free and acceptable for fedora, but requires a non
  free service to function:

EXAMPLE: perl-Net-Amazon-EC2

Where does the black and white line come in here?
Or is it shades of grey?

kevin