USB Keyboard Amok?

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 18:09:20 UTC 2009

Hardware:

Logitech USB Keyboard
Asus Motherboard

Problem:

Approximately every 100th cold boot/system restart, the
BIOS message, as it is displaying memory, hard drives,
etc., is all scrambled, even in colour, and the beep
that normally occurs at boot becomes a single long ring
that never stops, and the system hangs, unresponsive to
any input.

Solution:

To remedy this, one must unplug the computer, wait
until the LED on the motherboard extinguishes, remove
the battery from the motherboard, plug in a spare PS/2
keyboard, put the battery and power cable back in, and
reboot.

Then, the BIOS settings must all be set from scratch,
as they are totally awry - no, not the defaults! If one
does not use a PS/2 keyboard, no keyboard entry is
possible. If one does not remove the battery, then some
mysterious BIOS supervisor password will be set that
cannot be circumvented (I don't use a BIOS supervisor
password).

After having performed all of these steps, the system
works perfectly, like before, until about the 100th
time (wild guess - a long time - but often the problem
occurs 2 or 3 times in a row, then not at all for
weeks). Curiously, the same problem existed with a
previous Asus motherboard (same USB keyboard, which
works perfectly, as far I am able to determine from
regular, daily use).

Is this an Asus problem, since 2 Asus motherboards are
affected (I upgraded the BIOS, but there have not been
any new upgrades available for 18 months), a USB
keyboard problem (the problem occured on the older
motherboard while kbd, not evdev, was in use), or
something altogether different? I have been unable to
replicate the problem or determine any actions/states
that appear to produce it.