Unresponsive maintainer for system-config-cluster

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 13:13:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 01:57:14PM +0100, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 14:40 +0200, Milos Jakubicek wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 10/21/2009 11:11 AM, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Jim Parsons left Red Hat a little while back and the only contact
> > > details I have is his Red Hat email address, which is of course no
> > > longer valid. I've opened a bugzilla #530027 as per the unresponsive
> > > maintainer procedure, but I was hoping to be able to skip the section
> > > regarding sending of messages since there seems little point sending to
> > > an email address which I know (and which other Red Hat employees can
> > > easily verify) will not be answered.
> >
> > +1 from here...I already e-mailed Jim Parson a long long time (for sure
> > more than a year) ago because of some trivial outstanding bugs in that
> > package (missing requires, incorrect pam configuration, ...), some of
> > them I fixed then, some are still left. I tried several times and didn't
> > get any response.
> >
> I've actually found a few more since I wrote that list in the bz too.
>

> > > I would like to either fix (or preferably just remove) this package as
> > > it creates configs for GFS2 which are incorrect and is thus causing
> > > confusion to all who attempt to use it.
> >
> > Hm...I would appreciate keeping the package (...and could fix the very
> > trivial of the remaining bugreports), how complicated would it be to fix
> > the GFS2 configs? On the other hand, I've heard from somebody of the RH
> > cluster team that the package is deprecated at all, how's that?
>
> Well if someone wants to maintain it, then I suppose there is no issue.
> My understanding is that Conga is the preferred method for graphical
> configuration of clusters. Personally I use vi for cluster
> configuration :-)

I don't think its really viable to suggest that Conga is a replacement
for system-config-cluster. One is a simple desktop UI for editing
cluster config files. The other is a large web based management
infrastructure. Certainly alot of people may want to use Conga, but
I can well imagine people using s-c-c , wouldn't want to deploy a
webapp just to get a tool to edit cluster config files

Daniel