Fwd: Request to update ATi OSS driver for Fedora 12

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 07:17:12 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 23:27:31 Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 15:16 +0800, Liang Suilong wrote:
> > Today I upgrade my Fedora to Fedora 12 Beta, It looks very well. But I
> > found ATi display driver does not run well.
> >

> > My display card is Sapphire HD3650 with 256MB GDDR3 VRAM (RV635). I
> > choose OSS driver for my card. Glxgears runs so smoothly with
> > xorg-x11-drv-ati because of KMS by default, nevertheless, rolling up
> > and down in the gnome-terminal is quite slow. The performance of
> > glxgears is about 210 frams per second. In addition, Switching to
> > another window in Fedora 12 Beta is not as fast in Fedora 11. Later, I
> > install xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd and set it by default in the
> > system-config-display. Then I restart the X. I can not log into gnome.
> > The screen turns white. I found xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd is too old, The
> > version is 1.2.5 in the rawhide and the latest version 1.3.0 has been
> > released for a long time. Now I turn back to xorg-x11-drv-ati. At
> > last, I do not know which packages causes the  problem, maybe
> > xorg-x11-drv-ati, maybe xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd, maybe Mesa. So I
> > suggest that packager updates some packge related to ATi R600/R700
> > display card.
>
> Fedora doesn't really care about the radeonhd driver. We may well even
> remove it at some point soon. The ati driver is the one you should use
> on Fedora, that's why it's the default.
>
> You do not get 3D acceleration out of the box on that card, r600 3D
> acceleration is too early to be enabled by default. If you want to try
> it out, install the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package.
>
> For the slow 2D performance - _how_ slow is it, really? gnome-terminal
> has never been much of a speed demon. Does it get any faster if you boot
> with 'nomodeset' as a kernel parameter?

Hi,
I've installed F-12 beta on my new laptop with ati radeon hd 4570 graphic
card, I was going to file new bug. With kms enabled, everything is really
sloooow, with 'nomodeset' it's much faster. I can't say exactly "how" slow it
is, is there anything I can use for measuring?

Michal

btw, mesa-dri-drivers-experimental does not work at all for me (glx apps
segfault)