F12 media-less installer totally broken

Chris Lumens clumens at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 13:20:49 UTC 2009

> - Put the iso on a ntfs partition
> - Put the vmlinuz+initrd.img in F11's grub .. and boot into the installer,
> pointing it to install from HDD
> - The installer cannot pickup the iso

Yeah this probably won't work because of the NTFSness, but what's the
exact error message?  What does the log on tty3 look like?

> - As an alternate I copied the iso to a server, and NFS shared its folder
> - I reboot the installer, point it to nfs .. again it fails to start
> anaconda

What's the exact error message?  What's the log on tty3 look like?

> - Third trial .. on that server I loop mount the iso on /opt and NFS share
> that
> - Boot installer, it tried to mount server:/opt/images (which fails!) (only
> /opt is shared)

What, like you're not exporting the subtree?  You need to do that -
anaconda needs to access <tree>/images/install.img to be able to
proceed.  Again, what's the log on tty3 look like?

> - Fourth trial: I expand the iso image completely on disk into a new
> directory, boot into the installer pointing it at that
> - Installer finally picks up, anaconda starts .. I click next a few times,
> partition and format my disk, then an error message mentions "cannot load
> image #1, please insert the CD and try again" ... arrgh

Yet again, what do the log files look like?  Show me /tmp/anaconda.log,
/tmp/storage.log, and /tmp/syslog.

- Chris