Fwd: Request to update ATi OSS driver for Fedora 12

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 19:30:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 09:17 +0200, Michal Hlavinka wrote:

> > For the slow 2D performance - _how_ slow is it, really? gnome-terminal
> > has never been much of a speed demon. Does it get any faster if you boot
> > with 'nomodeset' as a kernel parameter?
> >

> Hi,
> I've installed F-12 beta on my new laptop with ati radeon hd 4570 graphic
> card, I was going to file new bug. With kms enabled, everything is really
> sloooow, with 'nomodeset' it's much faster. I can't say exactly "how" slow it
> is, is there anything I can use for measuring?

cairo-perf-trace is, afaik, the best we have:
http://cworth.org/intel/performance_measurement/

I'm not sure if bug reports on this are useful. To some extent, slow
performance with KMS on some chips is a known issue. Jerome, do you want
bug reports from people who have this problem, or would more reports not
provide any new information?

> btw, mesa-dri-drivers-experimental does not work at all for me (glx apps
> segfault)

Your card's r700, not r600, so that's kind of expected; the current code
isn't expected to work well on r700 (possibly not at all, I'm not 100%
clear). r700 and r800 support should follow r600 relatively quickly,
though.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey