The future of "rawhide" (was [Fwd: Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"])

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Oct 22 21:42:22 UTC 2009

Le Jeu 22 octobre 2009 23:20, Jesse Keating a écrit :

> So you can continue to run rawhide all you want.  Your entry point to
> rawhide may change slightly, you may have to start with the current
> Fedora release or the current testing release for the next Fedora, and
> then upgrade to the rawhide package set, but once you've done that you
> just stick on rawhide and never look back.

IMHO you should be honest and call your F-next rawhide, and find some other
name for the "experimental stuff" sandbox. Because your F-next is effectively
what rawhide has been since before Fedora, and your rawhide is what people who
do not care about releng have been trying to turn rawhide into in the past
years. Well they can get their no-rules playground but I don't see why we
should also give them the rawhide name. It has a fine history, much better
than the eating babies ogre caricature.

--
Nicolas Mailhot