Buyer Beware: A Major Change in NFS (in Rawhide) is about to happen

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Tue Oct 27 20:45:29 UTC 2009

On 10/26/2009 04:06 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Steve Dickson <SteveD at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> [...]
>>> Unfortunately, this sounds like "only".  Is it out of the question to
>>> make the client look for this case (an upgraded client in an existing
>>> unupgraded, unchanged network) and handle it?
>> We talked about it... See [...]
>>
>> But in the end, I decided not to do this since its not clear how the change
>> would interact with other NFS servers...
>
> It's a bit odd that we're about to push a backward-incompatible
> change into Fedora, just in case non-Fedora servers are around.
Well the reason for the incompatibility is the simple fact that
the Linux server is a bit behind the rest of the servers out there
when it comes to this particular type of v4 support...

Note, I've been pushing kernel patches to for over a year now (which are
in currently in the F-12) which would bring the server up to speed in
this area... but they gained any priority with the maintainer...
until recently...

steved.