What to do with package that wants to use sse?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Oct 31 17:04:11 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 09:33:13 -0700,
  Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 09:29 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > That is very useful information. It sounds like I will want to do this for
> > this package, since enabling sse2 will turn on the sse instructions and sse2
> > might turn out to be useful for this code as well.
> >
> > > Now I would really like to promote a comprehensive understanding of that policy.
> >
> > It would be nice to have an example of how do the build for something like this
> > in one spec file.
>
> The documentation there is is at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Compiler_flags
>
> but it's not a lot.

That is where I would expect sse2 information; either inline or a pointer
to something more comprehensive.

Not much is using sse2 right now. I would expect that the main ogre package
could make use of this, but currently doesn't.

I am having trouble finding good documentation on what the runtime linker
does. The link below is the best description I have found so far, and answers
a question I had about whether stuff needs to be in /usr/lib/sse2/OGRE or
/usr/lib/OGRE/sse2 (the former).
(http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0704.3/0002.html

I think I know enough to attempt a -sse2 subpackage for x86 arch.
The path to proven packager is paved with much learning.