sed -i symlink behavior...

Peter Bloomfield peterbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 3 19:47:33 UTC 2009

On 09/02/2009 10:07 AM, Warren Togami wrote:

> On 09/02/2009 11:39 AM, Jerry James wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Warren Togami<wtogami redhat com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What is the correct behavior?  Is this a bug that it changed?
>>
>> Read up on the --follow-symlinks option to sed.
>
> This is a new option it seems, meaning I can't rely on sed -i at all
> anymore. I'm rather displeased that a core utility fundamentally changed
> its own behavior.
>
> Warren

Apparently [1] upstream sed always broke symlinks, and "Red Hat made a
patch" to follow them instead.  Fedora packages from some point up to
sed-4.1.5-12.fc11 seem to have used it.  So the default behavior in Fedora
sed is now consistent with upstream, instead of with the prior patched
version.  That's inconvenient if you're accustomed to the "Red Hat"
version, but better for interoperability!

Peter

[1]
http://www.nabble.com/Re:-sed:-Patch-to-follow-symlinks-and--c-option-td7471749.html