GCC var-tracking-assignments: testing and bug reports appreciated

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 11:32:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 06:35:09AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 10:46:26PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>>Jakub built gcc-4.4.1-10 earlier today, with a new feature that
>>generates much better debug information in optimized programs.
>>
>>The feature has been under development for a couple of years, and it's
>>recently been accepted into GCC, for GCC 4.5.  We've backported it for
>>Fedora 12.
>
>Why are you backporting something like this from a non-released compiler
>into F12 _after_ Alpha and particularly _after_ the mass rebuild?

No response?  None?

I mean, I'm not asking for much.  All I want is an explanation as to why
this _has_ to be in F12 and can't be rolled into F13 instead.  At first
glance, it would make more sense to let the feature get some testing in
GCC mainline before we just backport it to Fedora users, so putting it
in F13 seems better to me.

josh